HackTM 2016- Saguaro “Home Sense” Team
An IT marathon of three days with a total of almost 50 hours of programming and another eight hours of tech talks—HackTM 2016 was one of the greatest events of its kind in south-eastern Europe. With the theme of “Life’s too short to hack alone,” this third edition of HackTM took place May 20-22 at the UPT Restaurant at the Politehnica University of Timisoara, organized by Banat IT and Timisoara Startup Hub.
Saguaro representatives joined nearly 500 other software developers developing applications in eight categories: eHealth, Robots, Smart City, Game Dev, IoT, Education, FinTech, and Open.
We would like to CONGRATULATE our colleagues Laura Popescu, Flavian Stef, Andrei Verdes, and Andrei Tatar. Competing with 10 teams in the IoT (Internet of Things) section, the Saguaro team won the “Award for innovation” special prize, consisting of a trip to the Netherlands to participate in the “IoT Conference Talks.” The team also won second place overall in the section, for which they were awarded a Raspberry Pi 3 and various development boards.
Here are some details about the application they developed:
- Visualization of home parameters
- An e-mail warning of gas detected
- Voice commands with which to control the home (e.g., flash the lights, turn off the lights, stop the music, start the music, play the next song, “I find it too hot” [which causes the thermostat to drop the ambient temperature by 2 degrees])
- The ability to activate the alarm system based on presence sensors
- Activation of SmartHome options such as on/off lighting depending on presence, starting music when entering the house, etc.
- Control for music
- Programming of learning capabilities for infrared (IR) remote control, for use later to communicate with various smart home devices
- Mobile application focused on accessibility
Here is a diagram of the “Home Sense” application:
The HackTM 2016 event was intense, high-energy, and ultimately rewarding—not only because our Saguaro team walked away with prizes, but also because it was great to get so many talented and enthusiastic software programmers together in this way. We can hardly wait for next year’s HackTM!